Our Beginning

GREEN LAKE CALVARY CHURCH HISTORY

SancutaryA SancutaryB In the early 1950’s people from Moline Berean Interdenominational Church had a burden for the salvation of children in the area. Many kids transported were from the Green Lake area. Recognizing the need at Green Lake, seven families made plans to start a church there. The founding families were as follows: Henry & Harriett Bredeweg; Neil & Myrtle Bultman; Ben & Doreen Knoper; Don & Ilene McMillian; Milo & Marie Willyard; Iva Winger; Milford & Hattie Winger. The group began meeting on Sunday evenings in a roller rink located on West Shore Drive. Great encouragement from the first pastor as well as help from many who volunteered their labor, made a dream become reality. On October 16, 1955, the Green Lake Calvary Church building was dedicated to the Lord.

THE ORIGINAL BUILDING

SancutaryC On October 16, 1955, the Green Lake Calvary Church building was dedicated to the Lord.

The first major improvement was in 1958 when the pews were installed in the sanctuary. In 1962 an educational unit was added and the Drive-In ministry began. The sanctuary was turned around, a choir loft added and a new entrance was built at the same time. A parsonage was purchased in 1964.

The third phase of a building expansion program was a gym, dedicated in June 1970. It accommodated additional Sunday School rooms, a large kitchen, nursery and adequate facilities for the youth programs as well as banquets and programs.

In 1989 the sanctuary and foyer were enlarged and new carpet was installed. Three more Sunday School rooms were added to the west gym balcony area and the entryway was carpeted.